Porosity is a term we hear thrown around a lot, it confuses many, but it’s quite simple to understand. In short, porosity is the hair’s ability to absorb moisture. Follow our test and recommendations below…we’ve got you covered.
Our hair absorbs moisture through the hair’s cuticle hair shaft. If the cuticles of your hair are compact and tight, it limits moisture’s ability to penetrate the hair shaft. Whether your hair is straight, wavy, curly or kinky there are three categories of porosity that hair resides within; low, normal or high.
WHY IS KNOWING YOUR POROSITY LEVEL IMPORTANT?
Knowing how your hair absorbs moisture (how porous your hair is will help you select the “right” hair care products that will work best for your hair. Using products that are challenging to absorb or using them incorrectly, will not be beneficial to your hair care routine.
TROPIC ISLE LIVING’S SIMPLE POROSITY TEST
DETERMINE YOUR HAIR POROSITY LEVEL: LOW, NORMAL OR HIGH POROSITY?
Straight, wavy, curly or kinky hair? Find Your Porosity Level.
SHAMPOO BEFORE TESTING
Make sure your hair is thoroughly clean when testing your hair’s porosity. Product residue on hair can alter the results.
THE FLOAT TEST
- Fill a glass with room temperature water
- Take a stand or two of your clean hair and place them in the water.
- Watch and wait for 3 minutes.
THE RESULTS - WHAT HAIR POROSITY CAN MEAN FOR YOUR HAIR CARE ROUTINE?
LOW POROSITY HAIR
Floats and stays on top of the glass or takes a while to sink. It means your hair is resistant to absorbing moisture and your hair cuticle is tight. The strand floated at the top because water couldn’t get inside of the hair and weigh it down, thus low porosity hair.
- RECOMMENDATION - Select products with more alkaline in the ingredients, such as Avocado, Grapeseed, Jojoba, Olive, & Sunflower Oil – ingredients in Tropic Isle Living’s Plant-Based Boosters ® will help lift your and support moisture to the hair cuticle.
If hair lingers about midway in the glass, it means your hair is healthiest and holds moisture and shine best for extended periods. This is the gold star in hair that everyone is seeking.
- RECOMMENDATION - Maintain a healthy hair care regimen with pH balanced products to sustain normal porosity hair. Chemical and overuse of heat on hair can change hair’s porosity over time. Try Tropic Isle Living JBCO Shampoo and Conditioner as a part of your Daily Care hair care routine.
HIGH POROSITY HAIR
Sinks to the bottom, almost immediately. It means your hair absorbs moisture quickly but loses the moisture just as fast. Hair that is likely riddled with gaps, tears, and openings that allow water to easily flow in. If the hair strand immediately sinks to the bottom, you have high porosity hair.
- RECOMMENDATION - Begin a new hair care regimen. Clip your ends regularly and using butters and oils to help lock in the moisture your hair naturally loses. Try Tropic Isle Living Growth Duo and our Protein Conditioner.
GET 15% OF OUR GROWTH DUO TODAY
USE CODE – "GROWIT". PROMOTION ENDS AUGUST 22ND 2019.